Lotus Leaf Bread – 荷叶饼 (hé yè bǐng)
Makes 6 pieces
|All Purpose Flour||250g|
|Oil (for brushing on dough)|
- Mix sugar, warm water and yeast until it bubbled
- In a large bowl or sturdy flat work space, pour about half the flour in and make a well in the middle
- Pour the yeast mixture into the well
- Start kneading, the dough may be a bit wet and sticky at this point, but keep working. Alternatively you may use a mixer with a dough hook starting from Step 2.
- When the dough is firm and elastic, place in a lightly oiled boil. Brush a little oil over the dough and let it rise.
- Once the dough had doubled in its size separate it into 6 even portions
- Roll out the dough into a flat circle and fold in half
- On the half circle, press the teeth of a clean flat comb to make five even indentations to make a fan shape.
- Use your fingers to shape the dough into a lotus leaf shape
- Leave to rise for another 15 minutes
Tip: You may find the shaping technique in picture instructions on the original page given below.
- Steam using a steamer basket lined with greased proof paper for about 20 minutes