Flash Cook Shrimp and Eel Noodle – 虾爆鳝面 (xiā bào shàn miàn)
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions
[Tip 1: Make sure to douse the cooked noodles in cold water immediately to prevent further cooking and drain quickly to prevent sogginess]
- Peel and de-vein the shrimps
- Rinse the shrimp blood and guts away, pat dry. Scatter salt and starch over the shrimp, stir with a pair of chopsticks in one direction until the mixture is sticky and set aside in the fridge
- De-bone the swamp eels
- Clean the eel meat and dry it under the sun. Once the meat starts to curl, pound the meat with the back of your knife to make it tender before cutting to pieces
- Coat the eel slices with starch
- Prepare a wok with hit oil and fry the shrimp until it turned red in colour (drain the shrimp and set aside)
- With the remaining oil, fry the swamp eel, flip quickly to make sure the flour crust is crisp, then allow the crust to turn golden before pouring out the excess oil into a bowl
- Mix soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, ajinomoto, rice wine, garlic into a paste, then pour the paste over the eel to stir fry.
- Finely slice the onions
- Stir fry the onions in a different wok with a bit of the excess oil, when the onions are tender, pour in water or stock for the broth. Place noodles, eel slices, shrimp and ajinomoto into the broth. Adjust flavour and serve.
[Tip 2: Personally, I’d prep 9 and 10 before cooking the eel. The recipe given are from amateur recipe writers, so it’s up to the cook to prepare accordingly!]
[Tip 3: Also, you may other things like sliced spring onions, substitute large onions for a handful of shallots, or add bean sprouts (in fact, I think I spotted a bean sprout in the picture above…)]
The original recipe can be found at xiachufang, here you can find picture instructions for your convenience.
This recipe is mentioned in The Feast, chapter 48. The detail given for Flash Cook Shrimp & Eel Noodle is pretty detailed, so please compare recipes and do let me know if you try to make this!
Have fun cooking and eating!